Temporary Open Burning Permit Regulations & Guidelines

Do I need a burn permit?


Outdoor fires with total fuel area less than 3 feet wide and 2 feet high used for:

  • only cooking food
  •  providing warmth for human beings
  • the branding of animals
  • the heating of orchards
  • the proper disposal of flags
  • a religious ceremony
Burn Permit Required by PDEQ

Outdoor fire with a total fuel area greater than 3 feet wide and 2 feet high

  • Burning of debris, waste, cut vegetation removal

For open burn regulations, The Picture Rocks Fire and Medical District follows Pima County Department of Environmental Quality (PDEQ) guidelines as well as our adopted fire code.

Illegal Burn

Burning of garbage or materials considered dangerous or hazardous (i.e.: plastics, synthetics, aerosol cans, household wares etc…)

Pima Department of Environmental Quality can be reached at (520)740-3340 or via their website.

As the jurisdictional authority, any fire ( permitted or not), can be discontinued if PRFMD personnel deem that the fire presents a fire hazard or a smoke nuisance.


  • The permit must be in your possession when you are burning; only the above-named materials may be burned. 
  • Burning of construction type material is not allowed (lumber, plywood, linoleum, counters). 
  • Permissible burning hours are: October 1 through March 31 1100AM to 400PM April 1 through September 30 700AM to 1200PM. 
  • Wind speed: wind speed while burning shall not be less than 5 miles per hour or greater than 15 miles per hour. 
  • Fire control: burning must be constantly attended, with reasonable control tools on hand at all times (min: shovel, water supply). 
  • When the burn is completed or time has expired, the fire must be completely extinguished. 
  • Burn pile must be 50’ from any structure or dwelling or any other combustible material. 
  • Burning may not be conducted on public land or on other land not owned or leased by the permittee without written permission from the owner or land manager. 
  • No refunds or extensions if permit is revoked. 
  • Fire District may cancel the permit due to weather, ADEQ, or PDEQ alerts. 




Food Packaging and Serving Materials: Namely garbage from the storage, serving, or consumption of food. 

Specified Plant Materials: Such as oleander, poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumac. 

Petroleum Products of Their Containers: Such as crankcase or transmission oil, asphalt shingles, or any other petroleum products. 

Plastics & Other Synthetic Materials: Such as tires, Polyvinyl Chloride, Polyester, Polyurethane, Urea Formaldehyde (soft drink bottles), Polypropylene (plastic milk jugs), Polystyrene. 

Known Hazardous Materials or Their Containers: Such materials include pesticides, arsenic, lead, cadmium, mercury dimethyl sulfate, acrolein, carbon disulfide, vinyl chloride, ethyleneimine, methyl chloride, ethylene oxide, electrical wire insulation, ammunition, explosives, or other materials that should be reasonable recognized as a potential source of hazardous emissions. 

Purchase a burn permit online now!